Friday, July 20, 2012

MaryJane and her organic goodness

I want to live on a mountain. Mostly because of MaryJane. No, not that MaryJane. This MaryJane. She has changed my hiking, backpacking, and camping eating experience forever. MaryJanes Farm has put a whole lot of love into the culinary experience for the camper. She has an assortment of organic vegan dehydrated meals to choose from. 
  So, I was recently on a 50 mile backpacking trip in the Sierras through the sequoias. I had to carry all my gear and meals on my back in a bear proof canister. After hiking for nearly 10 hours in one day my body was exhausted, and I was starving. I felt like I could have ate a pile of dirt and pine needles and been satisfied. But, thanks to these effortless and enticing entrees, I did not have to resort to such a measly meal. 
I purchased these perfect little pouches directly from her website and they were delivered to my doorstep in a matter of 3 or 4 days. The flavors I chose were 
Wild mushroom couscous
Kettle Chili
Southwestern couscous
Ginger seseme pasta
Couscous & lentil curry
Lentils & Indian spice
I honestly don't have a favorite, they are all so deliciously good. Although when my friend took a bite of the wild mushroom couscous his eyes light up and said it tasted elegant. I agree. That spork full of adorable little couscous balls is probably the closest thing to elegance that came in contact with my dirty sweaty self.

 
Just look how clean and simple these ingredient lists are. No added crap. Just clean eats. Although the only  cooking I  did  involved very few steps, like boiling mountain river water, pouring it into these eco friendly bags and stirring and eating with a spork, my taste buds did not feel like I made any sacrifice while being away from the convenience of my kitchen.

  As a matter of a fact I almost preferred my outdoor kitchen. There is absolutely NO clean up, not only do the meals cook in the pouch it comes in, the pouch can be burned after eating, there are no harmful materials in the packaging. Less trash to carry out. Every ounce counts when you are backpacking.  

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the prepared food.  By the time we got to camp each night, set up, and ate, it was too dark to take a photo, and frankly, I was too sleepy. Here is a photos of breakfast, however. Simple oats and dried fruit.
 What are some other items a vegan should bring on a backpacking trip you ask? Well this is what my backpack pantry was stocked with....
 With love,
Emily

P.S. to see other photos from my trip click here

No comments:

Post a Comment